The long isolation process Paraty underwent until the mid of the 20th century kept the colonial housing area known as the Historic Centre intact, and that turned it into one of the most sought after destinations for cultural tourism in Brazil.
The Historic Centre of Paraty is considered an architectural heritage. The area, in colonial times, was plotted by the Portuguese crown develop a village. The Portuguese military engineers of the time projected streets, squares, churches and residential areas which were organised in perfect harmony and that have survived almost without changes until today. The churches are the main attractions and each was destines to a specific social class in past days.
The Historic Centre is a place where there is no car traffic. On the other side of the avenue lays a true open air museum. But here you can take pictures and touch everything. Take this incredible city tour!
Experience the charm of colonial Paraty with a City Tour with a guide that allows you to discover all the secrets hidden in the Historic Centre and its surroundings. And after the tour you may hire a boat trip and enjoy the islands around Paraty's bay!
DEPARTURE Upon request, depending on availability
DURATION 2 hours
Prices are estimated. Please contact us for updated prices.
Places visited during the City Tour
Sobrados (colonial manor houses)
- Rua Matriz (one of the oldest)
- Rua Dr. Pereira (former warehouse that today are ateliers)
- Príncipe (in Rua Fresca, surrounded by imperial palm trees)
- Rua dos Bonecos (where the puppet representations are held).
- Church of our Nossa Senhora dos Remédios
- Church of Santa Rita
- Church of Nossa Senhora das Dores
- Church of Nossa Senhora dos Rosários e São Benedito
- Defensor Perpétuo Fort
- Patitiba Military Quarters
- Iticupê Fort, overlooking the bay.
- Chafariz do Pedreira
- Casa da Cultura - considered by UNESCO as one of the most representatives 17th century Colonial Portuguese pieces of architecture.
- Sacre Art Museum, at Santa Rita church